[Debconf-team] Conference dinner, day trip (was: Updated budget for DC14)

also sprach Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> [2014-03-31 20:03 +0200]:
> The problem is, with the wider information gathered and the
> "personal experience opinions" expressed, it's pretty blatently
> clear that data-mining doesn't really give a good estimation of
> how beneficial the day trip is for the conference at large.

Best point in this thread, which is herewith being retitled.

I would go as far as saying that it's up to the organisers (within
limits, of course) to decide how they want to structure their
conference and what they want to offer. Trying to please the
majority is not always going to be possible or even the best option.

But putting on something that excites people will help in purporting
a general feel and desire of wanting to take part in whatever that
may be. And here, I am not only talking conference ("fancy") dinner
and day trip, but any aspect of the conference, really.

On the other hand, it doesn't help participation in
"extra-curricular" events if some people — and especially some of
the seasoned attendees — come to DebConf with their mind made up,
e.g. that they won't participate in the day trip anyway.

That's the cycle we ought to break. We will never be able to excite
the couch potatoes and those afraid of day light (werewolfs!), and
it will always be everyone's choice what to do. But we ought to make
it such that the default is for everyone to participate in
whatever's offered, and if only to get a break from the strenuous
conference intensity.

On the flipside of things, this means that the offerings must either
be all-inclusive, or there must be a variety to choose from, like
what DC13 did. I was originally against separating the groups, but
bringing them all together for lunch and then the boat trip back was
just splendid.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>
: :'  :  DebConf orga team

"work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do.
 play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."
                                                         -- mark twain