Re: [Debconf-team] Updated budget for DC14

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 07:51:44PM +0200, Ana Guerrero Lopez wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:22:19AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > me, they are all very memorable. I can still give you some great
> > social and environmental highlights of all of the daytrips I have been
> > to.

> Which leads again to: That's based in your personal experience.

> We have an enormous amount of data in penta from dc7 to dc13. I have seen
> a thread about data-mining this data. Shouldn't we use this data to plan
> the budget instead of based on the personal preferences and experience of
> the self-selected group of people participating on this list?

> Some survey to the wider contributors community on top of this would be
> great, but I'm aware this means a lot of work.

The problem is, with the wider information gathered and the "personal
experience opinions" expressed, it's pretty blatently clear that data-mining
doesn't really give a good estimation of how beneficial the day trip is for
the conference at large.

BDale called me on a mispeak ealier when I said the conference was
monotonous. He's right - it's not monotonous; it's intense, which can lead
to talks and sesisons blurring into each other without much break for people
to just ... *be*.

The conference dinner being just another dinner, for better or worse, is
also something that we can't take into account with our numbers from Penta,
unless you want to look very specifically at DC13, where people had to go
off-site for the formal dinner. In which case, the percentage of people who
went to the formal dinner and *not* on the daytrip wasn't significantly more
(and, in fact, if you factor in the people who split from the daytrip
activities and did their own thing, read: CERN, you'll find the percentage
is even *closer*).

So, *that* in of itself leads me to believe that the conference dinner was
of no more importance to the attendees (at DC13) than the daytrip itself.

My point here is that I don't think datamining is going to give us an
accurate representatation of the overall value of a daytrip vs conference
dinner in the budget. What I *can* tell you (as the person who's working on
planning both), I had my budgets flipped around. My daytrip is *far* less
expensive than a formal conference dinner (off-site) would be (costs ranging
from ~$6k USD for daytrip and $12k USD for conference dinner when including
the site costs if we don't host at PSU).

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski