Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf orga/governance sessions at DC14

Richard Hartmann dijo [Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 04:20:18PM +0200]:
> As someone who is relatively new to DebConf, not Debian, but who jumped
> into the deep end:
>
> * There is obviously frustration in a lot of places, this is not good.
> * As someone who helped spearhead the successful DC15 bid, I found the
> process opaque, inefficient, ill-designed, and... frustrating
> * Timelines were ignored or redefined on the fly. Again, not good.
>
> I will not be present so I can't participate, but I have known of tension
> for a full year now and next to nothing, that I can see, has happened.
>
> I can not see how referring this discussion to mailing lists instead of a
> once-yearly possibility of meeting in person is helping; especially since
> there has been a year of de facto inactivity.
> If this discussion is not needed/wanted at all it should be communicated
> clearly. If it's useful, please let it start at some point.

Hi Richard,

I do not believe the year was a stalemate. Things were done quite
differently than last year, and next year they will be done
differently, because the teams have very different compositions and
personalities. Many of us also have DebConf as a very recurring and
important part of our participation in the project - and we have
talked it over repeatedly.

We *have* had DebConf governance sessions in the past. They have been
half-successful... But half-failure. They tend to draw too many
uninvolved people, and to leave out many fundamental people (for very
understandable reasons).