Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf orga/governance sessions at DC14

martin f krafft dijo [Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 01:24:34PM +0200]:
> (...)
> It's been many more months than are in a year or even two that we've
> become aware of the problems around DebConf governance. No change
> has been initiated. DC orga was shattered during the preparations of
> DC13, and two chairs quit this year at the pinnacle of frustration.

Two bits:

- I did not resign out of frustration with the current, past or future
  DebConf teams. I resigned after repeatedly requesting, first
  privately and later publicly, for a new delegation to take place. I
  resigned because I lack the needed time commitment; I have reduced
  my participation in most of my voluntary projects because I'm having
  a hard time following with my more tangible obligations. And I know
  this is not likely to improve in the short- or medium term.

- DC orga structure+governance will not be solved ever in a single
  session or set of sessions. I see it, in any case, as an iterative
  and continuous process. We are currently in a much better shape than
  we were several years ago. DebConf governance is malleable and
  changes year to year, even if the team delegations do not, because
  it's a somewhat different team.

  What *did* become frustrating at some point to me was that everybody
  was expecting the Mighty Chairs to decide. The Chairs' decision
  powers should be used as sparingly as possible; I do not believe any
  imposed organizational structure will fix this, but just working on
  team management, trust (re?)building, and each of us learning when
  to shut up and listen to others. Most of our (quite big!) problems
  ended up boiling down to people not knowing to shut up and think again.

> Three months later (!), two new chairs are appointed to the same
> situation, apparently not really knowing of their nomination until
> this month. I know we are all volunteers, so don't take this the
> wrong way, but it's been more than a week and there hasn't been any
> sort of statement about what the team is to expect.

FWIW I also expected a shorter delay or a clearer message. I also
expected a shorter delay since I first requested to be undelegated
(IIRC in October). But the situation does not have to be dismal. I was
thinking... At some point I pushed for fixed terms for Chairs. But
Chairs should not be different than any other delegates. And delegates
continue serving their role until either they are fed up with it, or
the project (via the DPL) are fed up with them. So, yes, a natural
term could be "until I'm ready to give this responsability to somebody
else". Holger and I lasted approx. two years, Moray is still going,
and Tincho and Tássia are happily starting. Let them decide how long
to stay.

> In this light, your fear of wasting four hours of time at Debconf is
> not enough to suppress an initiative. On the contrary, I am baffled
> that there isn't *much* *more* of an effort to bring the team
> together and get our shit fixed. And no, I don't mean more mailing
> list discussions… talk about wasting time!

I would advise... Maybe not holding this as a exhaustive, extensive
sit-down meeting with all involved, but to have it as a recurring
thought. To speak between us all, on smallish groups, throughout
DC. That will allow for a better flow of understanding.