Re: [Debconf-team] Getting the network running

Kees Cook <kees@debian.org> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still trying to get PSU nailed down as far as what they can
> provide (though I have a good idea based on other events and
> people). It will be a class B IPv4 network to wired ports in our
> conference rooms.
>
> This means we need to supply everything else (WAPs, switches, etc). I
> figure we'll need at least 3 WAPs in the conference area itself, and
> similarly one for each of the hack rooms. What kind of switch density
> is needed in the hack rooms?
>
> Besides zobel, who can help me get things configured?
>
> Does anyone have leads on where to get equipment?

Hi Kees,

I have friend that's offering to loan a bunch of gear left over from a
warehouse tear-down that his work performed last year.  The equipment
was originally installed in 2009, so probably no fancy 802.11n/HT.

 * Several Motorola WS5100 controllers.
 * Couple dozen (or more) AP-300 access points.
 * Bunch of Cisco Catalyst 2960s and some 3560s (non-GigE) but they all
   have at least two 1gbps ports.

The gear is in Tualatin, perhaps I could go pick up a controller and an
AP and bring it to Lucky Labs next Tuesday so we can observe whether
it's too enterprisey.

--
Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com>        Encrypted mail preferred!