Re: [Debconf-team] Call for Help: DebConf14 Bursaries Team

Hello,

On 17/05/14 03:26, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> "Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" <faw@funlabs.org> writes:

>>> Nothing really special or much different from previous years.
>>> Summit has a similar rating system, the main difference is that
>>> we will try to use only one "ranking score" for both travel and
>>> food/accommodation, instead of two (one for travel and another
>>> for food/accommodation).

>> I don't think we ever did scores for food/accomodation. This has
>> as long as I've been involved always been a simple yes/no decision
>> to sort out completely unreasonable requests (people not involved
>> with Debian and/or Free Software at all that nobody knows).

AFAIK, we never did scores for food/accommodation.

>> For travel sponsorship penta had two scores (involvement in Debian
>> and amount requested IIRC). But these have been a bit confusing,
>> so yes the general consensus in the past has been that only one
>> dimension of rating would be better. Is that what you mean?

Exactly.  We have only one score in summit.

>>> Last year there was also an idea to do condorcet voting on the
>>> requests which sounded like a nice idea. The idea is that every
>>> member of the team assembles a (partial) ordering of the requests
>>> and we run that through condorcet to get the list of sponsored
>>> people.

>> The idea is interesting, but I believe it is too late for us to
>> try it.
>
> I don't think it's too late. The idea was IIRC mainly proposed by
> Steve. Mabe he can comment a bit more on it.

Our original goal is to come up with a conclusion in the next 5 days
so we can send the emails to people.  Four people from the team
already started ranking sponsorship requests (and some people already
scored all of them).

Finally, we don't have a clear process or tool to do analysis of the
sets (and I'm not even sure if "cloneproof Schwartz" would be the
proper method for this problem).  Designing, developing and testing
such tool/process would drain our scarce resources, which potentially
would compromise the goal of providing an answer by next week.

So I still believe it is too late for us to consider or try it.

But this is Debian (and DebConf), so if you feel like implementing,
testing and reporting on it in the next 2 days, we might have a
shot at analyzing and discussing it within Bursaries Team, so we can
make a decision about it.

I would still recommend to focus on the process we have at hand, and
use DC14 with a BoF to try something different, and for DC15, start
the discussion early enough to be able to use it.

Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@funlabs.org>