Re: [Debconf-team] DC14 C&W venue status

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:21:48PM -0800, Gerald Turner wrote:
> Briana de Jong <briana@puppetlabs.com> writes:
> > I did some thinking last night and I think that if we bought small
> > taster cups only, then we can get around the catering issue and allow
> > people to pour their own.  OLCC is pretty strict and when you have
> > over 200 people at an event, the rules change and servers are
> > necessary.  It is basically a liability issue because if anyone leaves
> > drunk and gets in an accident, it would be Puppet Labs responsibility
> > because we are hosting the space.  The laws are crazy, but for a
> > reason.  We also have to get special insurance for an event like this.
> > This is basically why we were offering to host the whole party because
> > of these laws and we know how to fit within the guidelines.

IMHO that sounds like the way forward.  I didn't know about the 200 person
limit; that makes sense for why there was conflicting information floating
around regarding the requirements.

> > I am not sure how you got to do this in NYC either :) Maybe no one
> > checked the rules first and just did it.

I think in NYC they didn't care because there was zero risk of anyone
driving home from the party ;P  (And that's not much different in this case,
either!)