Re: [Debconf-team] Questions to the bid teams

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 05:28:56PM +0100, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> Hello bidders,
>
> here my questions about the bids:
>

> - Mechelen: There is missing information about hacklabs (in particular
> to 24/7 hacklab). Do you have some options/ideas?

The venue itself has many rooms, most of which we don't need for holding
talks in; we plan to arrange some of them as hacklabs.

We haven't asked about 24/7 access, though.

The Novotel (just across the street from the venue) did inform us they
have some space available as well, and I imagine we could use those.
However, that could increase the price.

> - Heidelberg:
> I'm concerned about "With exclusive access, 24/7 is no problem. But
> there will be limitations during DebCamp (or if we end up with less than
> 350) when we are not the only ones (noise concerns, etc.)". We want also
> not to disturb the attendees that want to sleep, so noise is such big
> problem on the venue?
>
> Additionally I find 350 people a very high number. I expect some people
> sleeping outside the venue, and more people eating oustide (like in
> other urban debconfs). BTW what are the prices for these people?
>
> "Hostel can cater for 150–170 people at once". What do you mean? Do we
> need two (or ev. also three rounds)?  Or "relay" is still good.
>

> - Munich:
> Could you set up a hacklab on the hostel? Could be open 24/7?
>

> For all bids:
>
> * Are there minimum dressing standards on venue / accommodation?

None that I am aware of (other than "don't run around naked", but hey
;-)

> * how are the venue/accommodation flexible with the number of attendees?
> (is April OK? BTW June is better)

Do you mean number of attendees or dates? You confuse me here ;-)

The hotels have informed us that the last week of july and first week of
august would fit them best (apparently that's a slow period for the
hotels, so they would be happy to reduce their prices then). The venue
has not informed us of any such limitation (they are aware of the
hotel's preference).

For number of attendees, the accomodation are a hostel and a few hotels;
as long as we have approximate numbers sufficiently long in advance (a
few months or so), they should be flexible enough.

> * Security: how do you feel leaving computer unattended? (especially if
> we share venue with others) are there some alternatives? (hacklab with
> strict access control, lockers, etc.)

While the venue would allow us not renting the whole building, we would
recommend against that (at least for debconf proper; it might make sense
not to rent the auditorium for much of debcamp). If we do have the whole
building, then I don't think such security will be much of an issue.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/