Re: [Debconf-team] offer to donate/rent Debian-based network appliance for DebConf

Hi,

Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 1. August 2013, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> >  One of our Debconf13 sponsor, Plat'Home (http://www.plathome.co.jp/)(*)
> >  asks me that they want to contribute to DebConf not only sponsor fee
> >  but also donate/rent their reliable network appliance "OpenBlocks",
> >  Debian-based armhf machine (for detail, see
> > http://openblocks.plathome.com/). I think it'd be nice if it would be used
> > for DebConf's network system, so please tell us who is the contact person
> > for this issue.
>
> Axel Beckert is responsible for the network setup this year.
>
> I'm not sure how we can use this network appliance for debconf needs: for the
> main gateway/dns/dhcp/proxy server, we probably want something more powerful

According to the later sent details it may suffice. But then again
we already started setting up this box. I'd be curious, though. :-)

> and for other usecases we need a case which can fit some 3.5"
> harddisc.

Yep, the only place where it could be of use for us would be as
Gateway/DNS/DHCP.

> That said, I'm sure there will be developers at Debconf13 who'd be excited to
> try out the hardware and bring it to use cases I cannot forsee now.

Definitely.

Hideki Yamane wrote:
>  I'll bring 2 boxes to show to developers. Every developer can play with it.

Great, thanks, also to Plat'Home!

Mio Watanabe wrote:
> Our engineer is confident that OpenBlocks AX3 is powerful enough for the main
> server. The performance are as follows.
> DNS: approx. 5,000 queries/sec with bind

No idea here.

> DHCP: approx. 500 leases/sec with isc dhcpd

Should definitely suffice.

> 	* In case write the lease file in RAM disk.
> 	   In SSD, approx 100 leases.

I'd have a currently unused 64 GB SATA SSD.

> Gateway: Able to perform more than 700 Mbps as a local router.

Suffices, too. :-)

> We can offer the boxes which Hideki-san bring to DebConf13 after showing
> to developers. How do you think?

(I don't feel neither responsible nor eligible to decide that. Someone
else should answer here.)

Thanks again!

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin