Re: [Debconf-team] Day trip decision

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:34:28PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> writes:
>
>> > A conference dinner during a boat trip looks great, and something that
>> > attendees will remember, but it also looks quite expensive, even if we
>> > can afford it thanks to the fantastic work of the sponsorship team. I
>> > was wondering if some compromise solutions were possible, such as
>> > keeping the boat trip, but having a less expensive standing "cocktail"
>> > while on the boat, with self-served food? Or just a less expensive
>> > menu?
>
>> The current plan already includes the cheapest menu they offer and does
>> not include any drinks (I expect tap water to be available for free, but
>> we have to check). So if we want to eat a menu on the boat I don't
>> think there are any cheaper options.
>
> What does "cheapest menu" mean about the quality of the food?  I value
> having good food much more than having food with a view.

Their standard offers are available on the web in French[1]. So you can
have a look yourself. If someone needs a translation for specific parts,
ask in #debconf-team and I'm quite sure someone will help.

> Does "cheapest menu" imply risks around diet choice?  Do we risk excluding
> our attendees with dietary requirements by having the dinner on the
> boat?

No it's not. In the brochure mentioned above they ask us to select 1
menu. But dietary restrictions are specifically exempt from this.

> In all these discussions, I feel that I'm missing a clear analysis of the
> proposal vis-à-vis:
>
>   - the budget
>   - the standard meal costs at the venue
>   - a proposed "nicer" conference dinner at the venue
>   - the historical relationship between the costs of normal meals vs.
>     conference dinner (to do an apples-to-apples comparison correcting for
>     differences in the relative per-country costs)
>
> My understanding is that the proposal does exceed the stated budget for the
> conference dinner, which is what makes it important to have the analysis
> against the other points.  (We believe we can afford it by reallocating
> unused funds from the "day trip" line; but that's still something we should
> decide about.)

As Philipp Hug already said it depends on where you put the costs for
the boat (excluding the meal). If this is part of the daytrip, then it
fits even into the letter of the budget.

> Would it be possible for someone to provide this analysis in a succinct
> email, to help the team make an informed decision in the poll?

Sorry. I don't have time for this. And I also think this is not
necessary to make an informed decision. But if someone want's to do it,
I'm ready to help if specific information is missing. But AFAICS all
that's needed is publicly available. We asked for a proposal for the
conference dinner at Le Camp for 24.- CHF / person (the budget includes
36.- CHF / person for this) in addition to the usual costs of the
dinner. But it would also be possible to have it cheaper (or more
expensive). They are quite flexible about this and will adjust the menu
to the amount we are willing to pay. We did not receive their proposal
yet and I guess they are waiting for us to confirm if we really want to
have the conference dinner at Le Camp.

Gaudenz

[1] http://www.navig.ch/pdf/dossier-fr.pdf

--