Re: [Debconf-team] Day trip decision

Hi Moray,

Le lundi, 22 juillet 2013 23.02:26, Moray Allan a écrit :
> On 2013-07-22 08:53, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > On Sonntag, 21. Juli 2013, Raphaël Walther wrote:
> >> As you can see the budget for that day is close to CHF 28'000
> >> which is CHF 111 per person (252 attendees).
> >
> > wow :-/  Thats a lot of money for a day out in the green.
>
> It is indeed an amazing amount for us to be considering spending on a
> day trip.
>
> > Did we calculate that much for in the budget?
>
> That isn't very relevant to my view on whether it's a good idea to
> spend so much money on it.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree: if that amount was unreasonable, budget
validation time was the right moment to debate that, not now: the DPL
approved [0] a budget including 10.4 kCHF for the conference dinner and
17.4 kCHF for the Day Trip. The whole point of the budget approval
exercise is to grant provisional amounts in advance, that we can work
from to prepare plans. The plan presented by Raphaël is well within that
budget line: I feel it's really unfair to him to change the rules of the
race just before the finish line.

[0] <20130530120804.GA28280@xanadu.blop.info>

Now, as a matter of full honesty; by looking at the detailed budget
source, I see that the amounts were as follows: 50 CHF / person for
DayTrip, 30 CHF / person for Conference Dinner; both multiplied by 348
unique attendees. For 252 attendees, that would mean a budget of
12.6 kCHF for the DayTrip and 7.6 kCHF for the conference dinner.

Given the above, I think the only reasonable request to the DayTrip
organisers now is to ask them to fit the budget into 50CHF/attendee for
DayTrip and 30CHF/attendee for Conference Dinner.

> I really can't believe that this is the best possible use for Debian
> of 28 000 CHF.

At the time, that's what the DPL approved as "good use of Debian money"
in my understanding.

> Or to look at it another way, I think a large proportion of attendees
> would prefer us spending 111 CHF on them in a different way from
> providing a fancy day trip to them.

80 CHF is what the budget allows us to spend per attendee, the 31 CHF
are indeed in addition and we should find a way to either cut these down
or finance them in another way (out of budget, attendees, …).

Cheers,
OdyX