Re: [Debconf-team] Day trip decision

Hi Moray,
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:02:26PM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> On 2013-07-22 08:53, Holger Levsen wrote:
> >On Sonntag, 21. Juli 2013, Raphaël Walther wrote:
> >>As you can see the budget for that day is close to CHF 28'000
> >>which is CHF
> >>111 per person (252 attendees).
> >
> >wow :-/  Thats a lot of money for a day out in the green.
>
> It is indeed an amazing amount for us to be considering spending on
> a day trip.

Well, it would be great but I agree that we could save money by dropping the
conference dinner on the boat which is CHF 14'102. Then the whole budget for
the day is like CHF 13'785 (55 CHF per participants if 252 participants). I
have not included in this calculation coaches back from Neuchâtel.

People would arrange their own food and pay for it in the evening or go back
early to Le Camp and eat at Le Camp (They would have to chose that in advance).

> >Did we calculate
> >that much for in the budget?
>
> That isn't very relevant to my view on whether it's a good idea to
> spend so much money on it.  I really can't believe that this is the
> best possible use for Debian of 28 000 CHF.  Or to look at it
> another way, I think a large proportion of attendees would prefer us
> spending 111 CHF on them in a different way from providing a fancy
> day trip to them.  It's many times more than we spent on previous
> day trips.  Also, in the past many attendees preferred to take a
> rest day at the venue instead of joining the trips, and the amounts
> we could be wasting here if that happens would be huge.

I think we are getting closer to the final plan. Do we ?

Cheers,
Raphaël