Re: [Debconf-team] Accommodation numbers/upgrades/communal accommodation

Hi,

 - I'm very confused by what I find at
   <https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Pricing>.  I understood that
   there was very strong opposition to filling the largest rooms to their
   nominal capacity; but this chart shows all rooms with 8 or more beds
   being filled to capacity.  And looking at
   <https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Pricing/Compromise>, I see it
   redirects back to <https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Pricing>...
   and that the last version of /Compromise matches.  So I'm concerned that
   this page doesn't actually represent a shared understanding of how the
   rooms will be allocated.  Could someone please either confirm that we
   *are* planning to fill these large rooms, or else fix /Pricing to reflect
   the actual plan?

I think, the plan was not to fill the big rooms completely, which is only category sleeping_bag_big.

Given these numbers, I think the right thing to do
is to fill these reserved rooms with sponsored attendees at no extra charge
I don't agree with this idea as it is very unfair to:
a) those who answered the question sincerely but would also prefer a smaller room
b) those who registered for the 8-bed rooms, paying themselves.

I'd prefer to continue the upgrade for CHF20/day approach and drop the fee for those who can't afford it on a case-by-case basis.

In particular, I think it is *not* reasonable to leave small rooms empty
while sponsored attendees are crammed into the sleeping bag rooms simply
because the budget calls for bringing more income from sponsored attendees.

I prefer to give those away on-site, if there are still available rooms. But I think this should be decided by the registration/frontdesk team.

Philipp