Re: [Debconf-team] Accomodation for families at Le Camp ?

Hi

I'm not speaking for anyone else than myself. This is not to be taken as
a team opinion.

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:

>>> Do you really expect people with families to be able to change their
>>> plans at the last minute?
>>
>> What my own expectations are doesn't really matter to the problem at hand: I'm
>> only one modest member of the team.
>>
>> That said, as you ask, I do expect people with families to be less able to
>> change their plans at the last minute than people without, that sounds
>> logical.
>>
>> But I think Steve's statement above is not sufficiently factual; I think it's
>> a better thing to say "we don't know yet, we'll only be able to tell in few
>> weeks' time; if you need to be sure, don't rely on that eventuality."
>
> That sounds like a sure route to disapointment.
>
> Telling people who we know need the information earlier than average
> that they can only have it after everyone else will ensure that they
> keep coming back asking the same question in a different way, to the
> frustration and annoyance of all involved.
>
> I'd think that it's much more constructive to tell them that they should
> go ahead and make their own arrangements now, on the assumption that
> there will be no room for their families in Le Camp.

It all depends on when it's possible to tell them. In my opinion this
should be possible shortly (about 1 week) after the sponsored
registration deadline. So factoring into account our usual delay, this
would be end of May. Do you still think that's unreasonably late?

But this depends on us agreeing about how we will distribute the rooms
after the sponsorship deadline is over. I'd prefer to allocate rooms on
first come first served basis after this date without any priorization
for contributors. This means that we should also encourage those not
requesting sponsorship to apply before the sponsorship registration
deadline.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.