Re: [Debconf-team] Accomodation for families at Le Camp ?

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:

> Le lundi, 6 mai 2013 11.01:15, Philip Hands a écrit :
>> Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:
>> >
>> > I don't think that's true as of now. The current status as I read it is
>> > that we don't know if DebConf13 will have 35 or 350 "DebConf" attendees;
>> > and I'd rather have eventual remaining beds used by families than not.
>>
>> Do you really expect people with families to be able to change their
>> plans at the last minute?
>
> What my own expectations are doesn't really matter to the problem at hand: I'm
> only one modest member of the team.
>
> That said, as you ask, I do expect people with families to be less able to
> change their plans at the last minute than people without, that sounds
> logical.
>
> But I think Steve's statement above is not sufficiently factual; I think it's
> a better thing to say "we don't know yet, we'll only be able to tell in few
> weeks' time; if you need to be sure, don't rely on that eventuality."

That sounds like a sure route to disapointment.

Telling people who we know need the information earlier than average
that they can only have it after everyone else will ensure that they
keep coming back asking the same question in a different way, to the
frustration and annoyance of all involved.

I'd think that it's much more constructive to tell them that they should
go ahead and make their own arrangements now, on the assumption that
there will be no room for their families in Le Camp.

If you feel that we must make it less clear than that, then we could add
that for that rare beast, the family that can change its plans with very
little notice, we may be able to release rooms very late in the day, but
that we're aware that that will be too late to be of any use to most.

Cheers, Phil.