[Debconf-team] Sponsored accomodation/food for GSoC students

Hello,

I'm one of this year's GSoC admins for Debian, and I'd like to ask whether it
would be possible to "save" some sponsored accomodation and food slots for GSoC
students.

I'm asking for this "in advance" because we don't know the students that are
going to be picked yet, and therefore I don't think we should have them go
through the DebConf registration process just yet. The accepted students will
be announced on May 27th at 19:00 UTC.

The idea is not to have all the accepted students come to DebConf, but to allow
those students whose mentors intend to be there to come and allow for valuable
face-to-face time.

There are 19 distinct projects for which students have applied, so that's the
max number of students we're going to get. Seeing the geographical distribution
of mentors and students, I'll go out on a limb and say that we shouldn't need
more than 5 sponsored accomodation/food slots.

I'm CC:'ing Lucas to make sure that we will be able to get the students' travel
sponsored another way: we should be able to ask Google for part of it (in the
past, they have sponsored the trip for 2-3 students), topping it off using the
money Google gives to Debian for successful GSoC projects if we need to do so.
Therefore we shouldn't need the DebConf team's help for that.

Thanks in advance for considering,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

linux: the choice of a GNU generation