Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf 13 room planning (talks, hacklabs, bar, ...)

Hi Cate

Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> writes:

> Hello Gaudenz,
>
> On 25.06.2013 23:05, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>>
>> Hi Cate
>>
>> "Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <cate@debian.org> writes:
>>> I think we should have the hacklab on the upper floor of Rotonde,
>>> and two BoF rooms on the lower floor.
>>
>> And where would you place the 2nd talk room then? I don't think we need
>> 2 official BoF rooms in the lower floor as they would not have video
>> coverage anyway. I agree that having 1-2 BoF rooms designated is nice
>> for scheduling, but IMHO these can be in other buildings. We have well
>> enough rooms for this (1-2 in each building).
>
> (...)
>
> So the fundamental differences is about hacklab needs. I like a big (and
> "social") hacklab, instead of distributed hacklabs. But we need more
> opinions!
>
> but I could think an hackbar (hacklab together with bar) will be nice
> (in the morning and early afternoon it will be more as hacklab +
> coffee), than along the days, if one want more quiet environment should
> move out.
>

>>> The second hacklab shuould be only a daily hacklab, and possibly the
>>> silent hacklab (there are rooms on the same building)
>>
>> For the same reason I don't see a need to have more than 2 "official"
>> hacklabs. There is enough space everywhere for a silent hacklab.
>
> but I think we need 2 officially designed hacklab: one big and one
> silent. I don't think we can enforce silent hacklab on the other buildings.
>

>>> I think that Carre' will become (unofficially) also an hacklab during
>>> the day. Beer and coding!
>>
>> So you assume that we already settled for Carre as the bar? For the same
>> reasons as the bar team and Patty mentioned earlier, I would prefer the
>> upper floor of Rotonde as the bar. Of course only if we can still
>> garantuee two good talk rooms in this case. Data about the needed size
>> for the second talk room would really help here to judge which rooms
>> would qualify.
>
> So we can do Rotonde as bar + hacklab when there is not enough people
> (and as night venue/hacklab). Now I think Rotonde is the best possible
> bar (and night venue): it is the only building without sleeping rooms.
>

>> I agree that the bar is not the most important part of the conference,
>> but IMO DebConf has a very important social aspect and is more than just
>> a technical conference. Having a good environment to socialize is
>> important as well.
>

> So:
>
> Big auditorium: B^atiment principal (300 people)
>
> Second talk room (60, or 2x30):
>    - lower rotonde (video is setup usually on one side (the 180 degree
> rule), so we can merge two BoF rooms in one auditorium if necessary)
>
> Bar: upper rotonde (150m2), but setup so that we can use as hacklab on
> morning and nights.
>
> Official daily/silent hacklabs: Carre' (72m2) and Peupliers
>
> We still have a 30-person-room in B^timent principal as third talk
> [...]

Yes that sounds good to me. I came to a similar conclusion today over
lunch with Benedikt. My estimation is that we can fit a bit over 50
people into the lower room. As an extension we could consider a live
broadcast into the chapel right beside it. We have official permission
from le camp to use the chapel for whatever we like.

So my new proposal is the following:

Main talk room:   main building upper floor
Second talk room: rotonde lower floor
Hacklabs:         Carré, building Nr. 8 (also for DebCamp, quiet hacklab
                  because of sleeping), part of Rotonde upper floor (with bar)
BoF rooms:        Main building lower floor, passerelle (BSP room from
                  last November)

The main difference between hacklabs and all the other rooms where
people can hack is that they should have wired ethernet and power cords
to the tables. For BoF rooms at least one should have a "beamer". Tables
and chairs are available in all the rooms anyway. I don't think we have
to take care of that. I only need to check that there are enough chairs
for the talk rooms.

> And as you wrote, on most building there is an additional big room for
> informal hacklab/talks (but in this case we need to care about tables
> and chairs), so we have many options.

> Is it ok to put registration desk on the bar? easier to have volunteers
> outside usual hours (and there is an additional storage room / small
> office).

I'd prefer not to do that. But it's up to the bar team to decide. I
think there are better places for the front-desk than the bar.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.