[Debconf-team] RFC: Opening Registration on Friday ?

Hi all,

apparently most of us agrees that registration should be opened "soon" for
some days now, but it needs someone to actually do it. This mail intends to
list what "opening registration" actually means and tries to propose a way
forward. Please rise your eventual concerns _now_ so that I [0] could take the
needed steps no later than on Friday 3. May.

[0] It needs to be done, so if one wants the steps to be taken by anyone else,
    I will happily step back and won't stand in the way…

= Announcement mail and blogpost

There's been quite some online and offline debate on whether a verbose and
long announcement mail would be preferable to a short and concise one. Both
would in any case point to the registration documentation (see below).

Both versions are attached. Along with the majority of the crowd present in
last week's face-to-face meeting, I'm in favour of the short version because I
think the long one is less likely to be read in entirety, while we want people
to read to the registration documentation anyway. Also the long version
apparently has some subtle differences with the actual state of the
documentation. But I don't care enough to fight for that view.

I also intend to send a blogpost with exactly the same content (just HTML-
formatted) of the announcement mail; this will give more exposure to the
announcement.

= Penta

As far as I've understood from the (few) discussions on-list and the (lots of)
discussion on IRC, most of the debatable points [1] of the Penta
implementation are solved (but I might be mistaken). Please go on the penta
page [2] to make sure it is Okay. Please send the (hopefully minor) remaining
change requests to the list and list them on the changes wiki page.

[1] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Orga/Registration
[2] https://penta.debconf.org/penta/submission/dc13/person

= Registration documentation

Along with the majority of the crowd present in last week's face-to-face
meeting, I also think it would be "better" to have the registration
documentation pushed to the website (as /frozen/ HTML instead of as /world-
editable/ wiki) but as this can be quite time-consuming, I don't intend to
block registration on this. I intend to give it a try though.

Please comment on the actual state of the Registration documentation [3] by
answering on-list; that's what I would put as register.xhtml on the website.

A secondary document of interest is the "Travel arrangements" documentation
[4] which would also be better hosted on the website in a shorter and "team-
blessed" fashion.

[3] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Registration
[4] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Travel

Are there other pages that would be good on the website? In particular, which
of the ones linked from [5] need to be updated before opening registrations?

[5] http://debconf13.debconf.org/location.xhtml

= Varia

Is there something else missing for opening the registrations?

Thanks in advance for the constructive feedback!

Cheers,

Didier

P.S. One or two "I don't disagree" or "fine for me, go ahead" mails would be
	really nice to avoid the actual registrations opener to feel alone and/or
	unsupported.