Re: [Debconf-team] Updated DebConf budget draft - explanations

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 05:14:58PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > + CHF 3k for day trip
> > on some DebConf we paid. In NYC it was very cheap (subway fare, not for
> > all attendees, a baseball match).
>
> This belongs to track B IMO. We should not underestimate the value of
> the day trip as an event where people socialize for one day without
> computers. It really helps to strengthen the social bonds of the
> project. While it's better than nothing, I don't the idea of a paid for
> daytrip. The daytrip does not need to be fancy or expensive. If people
> want to do expensive touristy things they can do that on their own.

I fully agree with the importance of the daytrip and as you are saying
in the end of this paragraph it simply does not be fancy or expensive.
I'd say fully YES to the daytrip but simply NO to CHF 3k for it.  As far
as I understand Le Camp location a daytrip could just be a getting into
your shoes and start walking.  Probably locals have some better plans
that will cost about a bottle of water and some sandwich to bring.

> But as always it depends on having some well known speakers.
> That where the 3k for external speakers should go. If we don't need them
> and get well known and good speakers for free or cheaper, even better.

As Gunnar said:  I'm pretty sure there are some well known speakers at
DebConf and I can not imagine that we need to invite additional speakers
to celebrate Debian birthday.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--