Re: [Debconf-team] Conference bag proposal

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 06:23:41PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:

> So my thoughts here, are in agreement for different reasons. I
> somewhat feel that if there is an official conference bag it should
> either have no sponsor logos, or have the logo of all the larger
> sponsors as we have done in the past. I understand that logos on bags
> are less loved than unlogoed bags (by attendees), but as a member of
> sponsors team, it was an additional perk we were able to offer our
> larger sponsors that I was somewhat sad to see go away. (In the
> future, I think we should try to reinstitute an official conference
> bag, but make it nicer than the ones we gave out at DC10, which were
> orange for lack of a better word, "synthetic hemp" bags.) Depending on
> where future DebConfs are held, I think I will be willing to help make
> this happen, if there is a will to revive the "official bag".

> That said, if a sponsor wants to add a bag as swag, I don't have a
> problem as long as it isn't the "official conference bag", and they
> should just do what they want as far as their logo goes. IE: We
> shouldn't provide them with official conference artwork. (Vendor swag
> is not a donation to DebConf, so it wouldn't count as sponsorship.)

> If they want to make it the official conference bag, I'd say that's
> fine if it either had no sponsor logos, or the higher tiered sponsor
> logos (Gold+) were imprinted. (In this case we would of course count
> the cost of making and shipping the bags as sponsorship, and if it was
> high enough would bump them to the appropriate sponsor level.)

Very very very well stated and absolutely 100% agreed. (Ok, 99% - I'm still
lukewarm on having an official conference bag at every conference. It's
*nice* to have the bags, but having it as a requirement is probably a
* stretch, especially with budget limitations we face each year.)

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski