Re: [Debconf-team] Conference bag proposal

Hi

Arne Wichmann <aw@anhrefn.saar.de> writes:

> begin  quotation  from Gunnar Wolf (in <20130329154654.GA55655@gwolf.org>):
>> Arne Wichmann dijo [Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:52:23PM +0100]:
>> > Hi...
>> >
>> > We have a proposition from one potential sponsor to be a bronze sponsor and
>> > to provide us with very sturdy conference bags (made from lorry tarpaulin)
>> > in a desingn of our choice including their logo. Should we take that offer
>> > or should we decline given that they are a bronze sponsor only (and do our
>> > own bags with names of all sponsors)? Or maybe we include all sponsors on
>> > the bag (if the above sponsor accepts this).
>> >
>> > So what do you think about this?

Just to add some information: The proposed bags seem more robust and of
better quality than what we had as conference bags in previous years. I
just unbranded the picture they sent us and attached it to this mail, so
that you can see for yourself. As I understand it, we can choose the
color, so it does not have to be red.

Also the logo on the sample was quite small and did not even contain the
full company name.

>> - Are they willing to share the bag space with the other sponsors? I'd
>>   include at least the same as on the shirt (that means, starting at
>>   "silver"), but I'd feel even happier including the others at the
>>   same sponsor level than this one (that means starting at "bronze"),
>>   as it is fairer.
>
> This would need to be asked (and I will ask them as soon as I know our
> position).

Given the answer from Arne below, IMO we should not pester the bag with
sponsor logos. We did not promise any logo on any bag to the other
sponsors and I consider this just as an additional giveaway from one
sponsor. If the bags are relatively neutral they are much more usefull
to attendees as you can also use them outside of DebConf in context
where at leat I am not happy to walk around like an advertisement.

>> - Finally, if they are willing to give us ???2000 CHF (that is, be
>>   bronze anyway) *and* also donate the bags *and* stay at bronze
>>   level, the bags would basically be giveaways from them, and I'd be
>>   more than happy to accept them. If added to that we are allowed to
>>   put our logo and design on them, I will be more than happy. Even if
>>   no other sponsor is allowed there ??? As the bags will not be made by
>>   us, thus won't be part of any sponsor bracket no matter what.
>
> First 2 ifs apply, third is unknown.

As I read their mail, also they also don't ask for a higher sponsorship
level. At least their mail does not mention anything like this.

Gaudenz

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
~ Samuel Beckett ~