Re: [Debconf-team] Conference bag proposal

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Raphaël Walther
<raphael.walther@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 10:10:52AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> Given the answer from Arne below, IMO we should not pester the bag with
>> sponsor logos. We did not promise any logo on any bag to the other
>> sponsors and I consider this just as an additional giveaway from one
>> sponsor. If the bags are relatively neutral they are much more usefull
>> to attendees as you can also use them outside of DebConf in context
>> where at leat I am not happy to walk around like an advertisement.
>
> It is also my opinion. We shouldn't decorate the bags with logos from
> sponsors and logo from DC13. My opinion is that it has more value to
> attendees if there is only one small logo on it.

So my thoughts here, are in agreement for different reasons. I
somewhat feel that if there is an official conference bag it should
either have no sponsor logos, or have the logo of all the larger
sponsors as we have done in the past. I understand that logos on bags
are less loved than unlogoed bags (by attendees), but as a member of
sponsors team, it was an additional perk we were able to offer our
larger sponsors that I was somewhat sad to see go away. (In the
future, I think we should try to reinstitute an official conference
bag, but make it nicer than the ones we gave out at DC10, which were
orange for lack of a better word, "synthetic hemp" bags.) Depending on
where future DebConfs are held, I think I will be willing to help make
this happen, if there is a will to revive the "official bag".

That said, if a sponsor wants to add a bag as swag, I don't have a
problem as long as it isn't the "official conference bag", and they
should just do what they want as far as their logo goes. IE: We
shouldn't provide them with official conference artwork. (Vendor swag
is not a donation to DebConf, so it wouldn't count as sponsorship.)

If they want to make it the official conference bag, I'd say that's
fine if it either had no sponsor logos, or the higher tiered sponsor
logos (Gold+) were imprinted. (In this case we would of course count
the cost of making and shipping the bags as sponsorship, and if it was
high enough would bump them to the appropriate sponsor level.)