Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf travel sponsorship (was: Re: Budget status - travel sponsorship)

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 03:35:20AM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:

> [Travel sponsorship idea where Debian underwrites travel
> sponsorship, allowing it to be allocated earlier, with DebConf
> eventually bearing the total cost.]

So, the idea seems to have support, which is good.

As people point out, one of the biggest factors is getting people to
actually _do_ something eight months from now.  I think key to making
that happen is to formulate somewhat of a concrete plan during this
DebConf, since, if history is any indication, once next year comes
around, there will be bigger problems.  Thus, I encourage Debian and
DebConf representatives to discuss the parameters of this underwriting
(I won't be there, so someone needs to bring this up, probably at some
BOF - I see a DebConf travel sponsorship BOF already submitted, as
well as a general DebConf BOF).

Next is quantifying the amount of money and risk Debian (or DebConf)
is willing to bear.  Historical travel sponsorship costs were listed
in my previous message.  Of course, the exact situation depends on
that DebConf's financial situation at the time.

Getting money approved early is independent (mostly) from working on
other problems in the travel sponsorship process, so one shouldn't
depend on the other.

So, in summary, given that everyone seems to abstractly like the idea,
I can't think of a lot I can do now.  Most important is to have it on
the radar for discussion at DebConf12, so that it won't be missed due
to lack of time at DebConf13.  If anyone has any logistical questions
about how to do this, ping me and I'll answer those questions.

- Richard

p.s. Ideas similar to this have been said many times before, apologies
to anyone I didn't cite as having it before me.