Re: [Debconf-team] Some thoughts on sponsorship tiers, and perhaps one improvement.

Raphaël Walther <raphael.walther@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 08:01:04PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 04:28:53PM -0500, Brian Gupta wrote:
>> > On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Margarita Manterola
>> >
>> > Thanks Marga. The issue is that many sponsors and potential sponsors
>> > have already been sent the sponsors brochure which doesn't mention
>> > this. If we were to make any changes, I do think that we would have to
>> > contact them again with an updated brochure and explain the changes,
>> > and allow them to adjust their sponsorship commitments.
>>
>> Updating the brochure after the fact might make a weird impression, but
>> you could follow-up with the proposal for small companies which either
>> have not replied yet, have declined to sponsor at all or are eligble for
>> an upgrade due to the pledged amount (in case the sponsorship team /
>> debconf team / whoever decides to go with it).
>
> I am really against changing the level and the brochure for dc13 now. We
> had a very long discussion a couple of month ago regarding sponsorship level.
> Then, we decided to make that campaign with that level.

I agree with Raphael on this. I also mentioned on IRC that at least the
silver sponsor we currently have is also just a small business with
around 25 employees. So it's certainly not true for all these business
that the sponsor levels are too high.

Another point to keep in mind is that IMO we should not focus too much
on small sponsorship amounts. While it's true that a lot of small
amounts also give some money, DebConf becomes financially viable mainly
because of the Platinum and Gold sponsors. We already need a lot of
bronze sponsors to make up for one Platinum and with the proposed
discounts we even need more. On the other hand the work the sponsors
team has dealing with a bronze sponsor compared with a platinum sponosor
is mostly equal.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.