Re: [Debconf-team] Some thoughts on sponsorship tiers, and perhaps one improvement.

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Margarita Manterola
<margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
>> What do people think?
>
> I think it's a very good idea.  It might be necessary to present it in
> a way that bigger sponsors don't feel cheated, but I think that's
> possible.
>
> Also, there's 9 months till DC13, I would support this being applied
> for DC13 sponsors as well.

Thanks Marga. The issue is that many sponsors and potential sponsors
have already been sent the sponsors brochure which doesn't mention
this. If we were to make any changes, I do think that we would have to
contact them again with an updated brochure and explain the changes,
and allow them to adjust their sponsorship commitments.

I was thinking that if we were to make changes this year Platinum and
Gold would remain unchanged.

And we might offer a 50% discount for companies below a certain size
(open to proposals, but am thinking in the 25 person range) for silver
and bronze.
In addition, we could offer a 25% discount for silver and bronze for
companies with less than 50 people.

Largely I suspect the impact that we *might* see some smaller
companies that are currently committed at the bronze level (2000 CHF)
request to increase their sponsorship to the silver level with an
additional 1000 CHF commitment. There is also the possibility of
smaller bronze sponsors adjusting their sponsorship down from 2000 CHF
to 1000 CHF, but my sense is if they have already committed a certain
money, they would be unlikely to withdraw the commitment, and would
rather be appreciative of the recognition that we would be giving
them, and the option to change their commitment.

Basically the rough proposal is:
Platinum   25 000 CHF
Gold         12 000 CHF
Silver         6 000 CHF
<50 emp.   4 500 CHF
<25 emp.   3 000 CHF
Bronze       2 000 CHF
<50 emp.   1 500 CHF
<25 emp.   1 000 CHF

One concern that has been raised is that we might get way too many
silver sponsors to fit on the t-shirts. Realistically, we have a
serious gap now between the number of sponsors that have been on the
shirts for the past couple of DebConfs than the number possible. IE:.
- For DC10 we had 22 sponsors on the shirts, and only one quarter of
the available printable space was used.  For DC11 we had 13. For DC12
I believe we only had around eight sponsors on the shirts.

I suspect that this would not upset sponsors, and would have the
likely impact of increasing our revenues.

Thanks,
Brian