Re: [Debconf-team] what do we think we can do better for dc13? example: random venue

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 04:06:54PM +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le mercredi, 5 décembre 2012 15.37:32, Ana Guerrero a écrit :
> > I guess this wasn't very clear in my first email, but I'm also considering
> > the hostel as the venue for talks, hacklabs etc in the spirit of having
> > everything in the same place. A similar arragament to the one we had in
> > dc9.
> >
> > If you look at the website, they have multiple common rooms, some games
> > room and the alike. look in the " Infrastructure" part in the right:
> > http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/st-moritz
>
> With all the objectiveness I can use, I don't think the space they claim to
> have is anywhere near enough for our needs.
>
> > if we are the only people staying in the hostel of the 80% of the people
> > staying, likely we can arrange to have the rooms for our exclusive usage.
>
> That is speculative so far.

Word back from the hostel director, we would have all the rooms except
one ( 1 fireplace room to be used for other guests) for free.

> For what is worth, the standards we applied in looking for potential hacklabs
> in venues we investigated were: accessible 24/7, low security risk, enough
> space. I'm not yet convinced a hacklab in St-Moritz's youthhostel can fit
> either of these three concerns.

You (local team) has said plenty of time Switzerland is very secure, so I
don't know why this wouldn't apply to this hostel too ;)
When you have the rooms for yourself you can have them accessible 24/7 and
close them too (as we have done in previous years).
As I told you by IRC, Didier, I know somebody who worked there in a previous
winter season and I was told the staff was great.

> So far, I have not gotten any indication to indicate that a talkroom could
> happen in St-Moritz's youthhostel, nor for which price.

Read above. As note, you didn't bother either to ask this in your mail.

> I have no intention to do any more research for St-Moritz (at least not now,
> while LeCamp is still being decided upon), so I have bounced both my initial
> mail and their answer to you, if you want to do more.

Well, you told me this clearly by IRC:
16:11 <OdyX> I don't really care in fact.
16:11 <OdyX> We go to LeCamp, so I don't care.

The internet is also for free and for the moment what they have is a 10Mbps
line.

I'm sorry for not sending this before, I had real life stuff. I still want
to send it so I can point to it people in the future when they say le camp
was our only possible venue.

Ana