Re: [Debconf-team] chair decission how to proceed (was Re: Regarding DebConf13 planned location

Hi Holger,

As I just told you on IRC, I refrained from posting because I
mistakenly understood your request to comment between us rather than
on the list as a request to wait for some further information or
opinion from you... And I carried on with $otherstuff. As you now
requested explicit answers on-list, I continue...

I do not like many things about LeCamp. But, right now, I don't see we
are in a position to start again looking for a better place. Not only
because all of the hostility already shown, but also because we would
be working without a local team. We already, explicitly, gave our
trust to the Swiss team. They are a great team. we accepted their
(again, explicit) proposal to have a "different" DebConf. The "small
place in the middle of nowhere" issue didn't sneak behind our backs —
We knew about it and accepted it since the very country choosing
meeting. Although many things were really less known, it cannot be
seen as a surprise to us.

During this last week's discussion, we have seen quite a bit of
repetitive shit slinging. Most of what has been said has already been
said by other people. Yes, there are some new data points (i.e. the
low bathroom to attendee ratio, the sleeping bag ratio), but it's not
something out of line with what we should expect from this venue. We
have been told several times that LeCamp's main business are primary
schools and the like.

Some people won't want to attend to a camplike DebConf. It will surely
lower the amount of participants. As I have reiterated, I am
completely cool with it — We cannot pretend to cater for
everybody. Some people have expressed to me their very concrete
worries in this regard... Well, as an extra data point, if we were to
choose a perfect venue where >500 people fit and everybody wants to be
there, I would not be happy and I am sure I'd feel it as a minor loss
as well — Because an important part of DebConf in my eyes is its
scale, still creating a closely-knit community feeling.

Growing much more beyond our usual borders is not something I would
personally like. No, I would of course not boycott said ideal place —
Only I would not feel one of the long-standing, defining
characterstics of DebConf would be compromised. I got somewhat worried
about this when we faced the "only 325 beds‽" point. I know that an
uncomfortable, unhygienic DebConf will be a put-off for many,
and... that will manage to get probably a different (smellier?) subset
of Debian than our usual distribution. What can I say?

Regarding the point at hand, the precise contract signing: I am for
it. I was very happy we reached a decision that allowed us to be
financially responsible. Now, I saw the prices, but –as the contract
will basically be just a shortened version of what we had– I still
don't know whether a time extension (for part or all of the other
week), with partial or full usage of the buildings, is still on the
table. I would have it as an important point to check.