Re: [Debconf-team] reports from Le Camp "BSP", part 6: trust + seeing is believing

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 09:34:39AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> For several of us, it is quite possible to make this choice
>
> We have to remember the people who don't have the option to pay and
> people who contribute so much to Debian that it is just not right to ask
> them to pay.

I'm perfectly aware that this is not possible for everybody.  The
rationale of my mail was to give a hint that there might be some people
who have the choice could voluntarily (yes, we *definitely* should not
ask them to pay) simply choose for this option to help out with budget
issues to enable others coming as well.

I know from other DebConf attendees in the past that they even if
private persons applied as professionals for the very same reason which
simply inspired me to do this and by doing so giving some signal that
if all else might fail we could have this "extra resource" of money we
do not need to spend from DebConf budget.

> If enough of these people don't come, if they choose to attend other
> conferences or participate intermittently over IRC, it could undermine
> DebConf, as people are the most important part of an event.  Then the
> people who did pay haven't got such a good deal.

I think you totally missinterpreted my intention.  My intention was to
enable people who can not pay to join because the needed amount for them
does not need to be spend for me.

> Instead of the survey suggestion, if we could ask people who share
> Andreas' feelings to make some kind of PGP-signed pledge to pay the
> professional fee, that may allow us to measure just how much of this
> revenue can be safely included in the budget forecast.

I admit I do anticipate some heavy reaction if we would ask people for
following this idea.  We should be prepared for the very same arguing
you did above and I don't know whether such action would qualify as
"asking" people to do so (which we should not as I said above).  I admit
when I sended my mail I was surely relying in the idea that some others
might follow (if not this would not help that much budget-wise).
However, it might be better to set up some list of "volunteer
professionals" or whatever you might like to call (and you are right
this should be based on a GPG signature) were we could carefully direct
people to.  In this aspect my plan was a bit half-baken.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de