Re: [Debconf-team] reports from Le Camp "BSP", part 6: trust + seeing is believing

On 08/11/12 14:51, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 03:17:12PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 08:22:20AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>>> Not an anser per se, but just a "thank you" for this mail. It
>>> summarizes many important points we all feel/know by now.
>>
>> +1
>
> +1
>
> I might like to add the following:  I always travelled to OS events with
> the principle in mind that when draining time from the family I should
> not drain money from it in addition.  I've just got "permission" from
> the "council" to make an exception.  I'm keen enough to have DebConf in
> *Le Camp* that I'm willing to fully take over my expenses
> (travel+accomodation+food however this is called) myself.  I know that a
> single offer does not help but I somehow have the gut feeling that other
> people might think similarly if they have the feeling that this is
> needed to safe DebConf in *Le Camp*.

For several of us, it is quite possible to make this choice

We have to remember the people who don't have the option to pay and
people who contribute so much to Debian that it is just not right to ask
them to pay.

If enough of these people don't come, if they choose to attend other
conferences or participate intermittently over IRC, it could undermine
DebConf, as people are the most important part of an event.  Then the
people who did pay haven't got such a good deal.

Instead of the survey suggestion, if we could ask people who share
Andreas' feelings to make some kind of PGP-signed pledge to pay the
professional fee, that may allow us to measure just how much of this
revenue can be safely included in the budget forecast.