Re: [Debconf-team] Contract

On 08/11/12 00:03, Moray Allan wrote:
> I have added an approximate translation of the current Le Camp contract
> proposal to SVN:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data/dc13/accounting/contracts/Le_Camp/Contrat%20Debconf13%20-%2030-10-2012%20-%20translation?revision=3828&view=markup
>

> In the meeting earlier Holger suggested to try to add shortening options
> to the contract.  If possible, that would avoid us needing to decide
> *now* to shorten the DebCamp+DebConf period -- currently shortening
> could be sensible for budget reasons, and in the previous list
> discussion some people thought it was a good idea even without special
> budget concerns.

According to IRC, Le Camp is not willing to give that flexibility

a) people will need to book flights in January or whenever registration
opens, they won't want to wait for April for the length to be confirmed,
so a flexible booking of Le Camp may not be practical anyway

b) Richard's figures clearly show that less people would be sponsored if
sponsorship is spread over two weeks.  Most people come to a conference
to meet other people (as obvious as that sounds), so maximising the
number of people who can attend just seems like the right thing to do,
and that implies 1 week with more people sponsored.

c) we should stop talking about signing something we can't afford - if 6
or 7 days appears significantly safer compared to previous years, RMLL
sponsorship figures, etc, that is where to draw the line

Out of all the cost saving options, this seems to be the most practical
and it has a big impact because the contract specifies a minimum cost of
5,000 CHF/day, so we save a minimum of 5,000 CHF for every day cut.