Re: [Debconf-team] Le Camp contract

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 08:32:46PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 02:24:00PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:54:59AM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > > That leads to the question: if we shorter debcamp to something like
> > > from Thursday 8 to Saturday 10, with DebConf starting Sunday 11. How
> > > much money we estimate we would save?

> > Maybe in this case we should consider shortening Debconf as well, to
> > make it more balanced?  Or downsize (or cancel) DebianDay and make that
> > one an additional Debcamp day.

> It is an option but I doubt it will have an impact in the budget. If we
> have DebConf from Monday 12 to Saturday 10 people will likely show up in
> Saturday 10 and leave in Sunday 11 anyway.

I don't follow this.  Are you suggesting that people will always stay longer
than the listed dates of DebConf, and expect the conference to accomodate
them?  Or that people will always stay across both weekends?

It's not the responsibility of DebConf to provide accomodation for people
who choose to arrive early or depart late from the conference venue.
However, it is possible that condensing DebConf and DebCamp into a single
week (or into a week and a half?) would result in more people attending (and
participating in) DebCamp, which doesn't seem like a bad thing.
Furthermore, it seems that in this case the cost of the event scales almost
linearly with the number of days; so making more use of the paid-for space
during DebCamp would at least seem to not be a *bad* thing.