Re: [Debconf-team] Le Camp contract

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:18:08PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 08:32:46PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 02:24:00PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
>
> > > Maybe in this case we should consider shortening Debconf as well, to
> > > make it more balanced?  Or downsize (or cancel) DebianDay and make that
> > > one an additional Debcamp day.
>
> > It is an option but I doubt it will have an impact in the budget. If we
> > have DebConf from Monday 12 to Saturday 10 people will likely show up in
> > Saturday 10 and leave in Sunday 11 anyway.
>
> I don't follow this.  Are you suggesting that people will always stay longer
> than the listed dates of DebConf, and expect the conference to accomodate
> them?  Or that people will always stay across both weekends?

I think that people will always stay across both weekends therefore this won't
save us money.

I'm reading now I mixed with the numbers in my example, sorry, they weren't
needed at all for the example. Trying again.

DebConf starts in Sunday with day before being arrival day and also last day of
DebCamp or DebianDay. DebConf lasts until the next Saturday and we expect
people to leave the day after, Sunday.

Most attendees take a week out of work to go to DebConf, they leave home in
Saturday (debconf arrival day) and they are back at home in the Sunday of the
following week (it is not like that for people getting trasanlatic flights, but
you get the idea).

If we start DebConf let's say in Tuesday with arrival day being Monday,
I expect people to keep the same routine and just attend 2-3 days to DebCamp.
Everybody who is already a Debian contributor or have a okish "Debconf plan"
tends to get sponsorhip so we will spend the same money.

> It's not the responsibility of DebConf to provide accomodation for people
> who choose to arrive early or depart late from the conference venue.

As said above, people gets easily sponsored for attending DebCamp full or
partially. People never get sponsored after departure day.

> However, it is possible that condensing DebConf and DebCamp into a single
> week (or into a week and a half?) would result in more people attending (and
> participating in) DebCamp, which doesn't seem like a bad thing.

I don't think it will change attendance, people usually attend the days they can
afford to go. No matter if they are DebConf or DebCamp. (*) Although of course,
DebConf is prefered because there are more people to meet.

(*) Not saying this slightly, after several years working in the room allocation
I have seen this pattern.

Ana