Re: [Debconf-team] Alternative ways of raising money

On 20/08/12 13:38, Richard Darst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Consider targeting of the source: while individuals may not donate a
> huge amount, perhaps small businesses would make also make (bigger)
> crowdfunding donations.
>
> We have lots of merchandising we have done in the past: umbrellas,

Merchandising takes work though

To summarise the ways of raising funds:

a) crowdsourcing/pledges: these work on the all or nothing principal, if
we don't reach the target, no DebConf.  It puts pressure on people to
contribute cash or promote the campaign to their friends and end users.
 There are probably many end users of Debian who would give a little
cash even if they have no aspiration to attend a DebConf themselves

b) donations: people just give money, (if we don't raise enough for
DebConf13, money carried over to DebConf14?  compare that to pledges,
where we give back the money and people have to pledge again for DebConf14)

c) selling stuff: most work, least profit.

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:41:15AM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
>
>> Does somebody else have any other ideas besides the crowdfunding and the
>> t-shirt ideas?
>
> Another random idea: auctions of silly/trivial items:
>
> - Rare shirt from DebConfN.  (I would donate DC9+DC10 shirts to this,
>   in fact, this is how I got the idea).
> - $famous_person's DebConfN shirt (if someone is willing to part with
>   it)
> - Dinner with DPL (but being an open project, auctioning off a
>   leader's time is sort of questionable.  Anyone can talk to our
>   leader and could probably get a dinner with em.)

This type of thing can work once or twice per year, but would obviously
not fit well with the Debian philosophy if it happens weekly

> - Seated at leader's / debconf team's table at conference dinner
> - FTPmaster's socks (thanks anonymous source)
> - Probably many more.
>
> There's some overlap with the above and crowdfunding "rewards" from
> above.  I'm not sure which would be better, and we could probably do
> both, but auctions can be a _lot_ more work.  And, trading project
> privileges for money is a big "?", since it's basically purposely
> making things scarce to raise money.

Agreed, these things should work on merit