Re: [Debconf-team] Before opening the registration with Penta...

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> - Debian roles - I'm including the following, mainly aiming at getting
>  numbers for statistics (nothing should be decided upon them):
>  - Debian Developer
>  - Debian Developer (non-uploading)
>  - Debian Maintainer
>  - Otherwise involved in Debian
>  - Not yet involved but interested
>  - Accompanying a Debian participant
>  - None
>  Do you agree with this? Am I missing anything? Should I squash any
>  two (i.e. uploading and nonuploading DD)?

I don't see the sense in separating those.  Both mean "Debian member",
and separating them risks it sounding like we think one is less good
than the other.

I would suggest mentioning "Debian contributor" as the catch-all, e.g.
"Other Debian contributor"

Holger wrote:
> "Otherwise involved in Debian" would probably be interesting to have split
> more... artist, translator, legal supporter, dc12 localteam :)

It would be somewhat interesting, but I don't see that it makes sense
to divide up all these categories here.  If we want to know about
that, it should be another separate question, as it doesn't make sense
to ask about this split only for "other", not also for DDs.  And, if
we have that, it should probably also multiple selections -- you can
be a DD and an artist and DC12 local team.

Gunnar continued:
> - DebConf roles: We _will_ use these for deciding some stuff. Am I
>  missing anything? Is there anything that should not be there?
>  - Regular attendee
>  - Organizer
>  - Volunteer
>  - Sponsor
>  - Press
>  - Accompanying a DebConf participant
>  - None

I'm not sure it's worth splitting "organizer" vs. "volunteer" here --
we never really defined what that split meant, and it was only ever
really used for t-shirts, while for the last few years everyone just
got a "staff" t-shirt.

> - Participant categories: This depends on getting some logistics
>  sorted out mainly WRT food and lodging. I think we should offer a
>  scheme similar to what we used in NYC:
>  - Basic; no sponsored food or accommodation
>  - Basic; want sponsored accommodation
>  - Basic; want sponsored food
>  - Basic; want sponsored food and accommodation
>  - Professional (cover the food+lodging costs - €300 for DC9, USD$650
>    for DC10, €450 for DC11)
>  - Corporate registration (€1000 for DC9, USD$1300 for DC10, €1000
>    for DC11)
>
>  Obviously, we need to set the numbers for professional and
>  corporate. And we have to do it FAST (that is, before registration
>  opens if possible!)

Right.  Remember that it's much easier to decrease the numbers later
than to increase them, so it's better to over-estimate the costs (at
minimum, the maximum we might pay accommodation and food for the
person) for now than to under-estimate them.

, perhaps travel sponsorship,
>  And yes, "Basic, no sponsored food or accommodation" is equivalent
>  to "Professional" (in the sense we don't pay anything for them), but
>  we do handle registration logistics for professinoals and not for
>  unsponsored basics. We might want to reduce them. Now, is there a
>  reason we want to sponsor food OR accomodation but not both? We
>  might prefer to flatten it to unsponsored / basic / professional /
>  corporate.

As Holger says, we might (though I hope not) end up not being able to
sponsor food and accommodation for everyone; if nothing else, we
should keep the fields split so that we can partially un-sponsor if
needed.  But I think in the past some people *have* chosen sponsored
accommodation only (not food), anyway, where they wanted to eat with
the group some of the time but were happy to pay directly for that.

> - Any restrictions to choose participant category. IMO, and
>  approximately following past practices, people choosing DebConf
>  roles "Sponsor", "Press", "Acompanying" or "None" should not be able
>  to choose any of the sponsored options (only unsponsored,
>  professional or corporate).

Yes, that appears correct.

> - Available food preferences. Again, please comment if this sounds
>  right, missing, redundant.
>  - No dietary restrictions
>  - Vegetarian
>  - Vegan (strict vegetarian)
>  - Other (contact organizers)
>  - Not eating with the group

So does that.

> - Available accomodation options. Local guys, given we are staying on
>  three hotels, do you think there should be anything we offer to
>  choose from, or should we just let luck decide who gets which kind
>  of accomodation? The most basic options are what we had last year:
>  - Regular room
>  - I will arrange my own accomodation

"Regular room" makes it sound like everyone gets a single room, so
perhaps e.g. "I want to stay in the DebConf block booking".

I remember why we have the "Corporate" registration category to allow
people to pay more than their own costs, but can someone remind me why
we started making pay-just-for-my-direct-costs an option in the
registration stage ("Professional") instead of doing it directly by
options for Food/Paid food/No food, Accommodation/Paid
accommodation/No accommodation?

Previously the "Professional" fee has, as Gunnar says, covered one
attendee's fraction of the food and accommodation costs, though if
it's meant to be "neutral financial impact on DebConf" then it ought
to also cover the same fraction of all other costs as well (including
food, but also venue etc.) -- if it did that, there would be more
logic to making it a single overall option.

With the current set of choices, some people seem to get confused,
e.g. thinking that by attending DebConf and choosing "Professional"
they are making an overall donation to Debian, rather than just not
imposing as many costs.

I speculate that we might get more people choosing the higher payment
option -- paying for food/accommodation and additional donation -- if
it was presented separately from choices of paying for food and
accommodation.  (If we want to leave the choices in the places they
are, we should at least add some text explaining things better where
the registration options are presented.)

--
Moray