Re: [Debconf-team] howto deal with debian/debconf money at ffis (and spi)

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 23. März 2011, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Well, yes, but the date here does matter. We generally have DebConf
> during what the north hemisphere people call summer. If DebConf year
> ends on December 31st, then money will linger in a DebConf-specific
> account from $DebConf_year_begin_date to December 31st.

if we continue to be in the fortunate position to stay positive on the money
side :)

> I guess the
> former variable will usually be a few months before DebConf starts,
> which in total will mean that for the most part of an year we'll have
> separate accounts, providing very little benefit wrt the status quo, or
> am I missing something here?

Yes. The main befefit as I see it that we have defined procedures, which we
follow each year, which will make sure, past DebConfs will be properly closed
and money will be transferred.

That's something new and worthwhile!

> Have you considered having rather a sliding DebConf year which is, like,
> a 4 months period with DebConf at its center? Would that be too short in
> your opinion?

Well, Richard wants to do accounting and he says 2 month afters the conf is
fine, and people doing the work should decide, so if its fine in his opinion,
fine with me too.

(It also doesnt really matter that much as we can still issue pending
expenses...)

Two month _before_ DebConf OTOH, I assume very often to be too short. I'd
start the DebConfN year on January 31st or the day of the first money
transaction :-)

So in the end I dont think it will be a 4 month window... but as I said, I
dont think that matters as long as we close+merge+branch finances each year
properly.

> > I thought the DPL and the Debian auditor should get access to the
> > DebConf accounting as well.
> AOL, that would ease budget monitoring quite a lot.

Yup, thats the plan.

What's still unclear to me is how the DebConf accounting people (ie Richard)
get direct access to SPI data :-)

cheers,
	Holger