Re: [Debconf-team] howto deal with debian/debconf money at ffis (and spi)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:22:31AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Montag, 21. März 2011, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > I was only about to advance the same concern that Moray already advanced
> > in a follow-up: deadlines. Saying we merge every year will be close to
> > useless, if the merge window will be open for several months ...
>
> Well, no. What I was thinking is: if DebConf year ends, say, on December 31st,
> then the merge window is that day. Not several months.

Well, yes, but the date here does matter. We generally have DebConf
during what the north hemisphere people call summer. If DebConf year
ends on December 31st, then money will linger in a DebConf-specific
account from $DebConf_year_begin_date to December 31st. I guess the
former variable will usually be a few months before DebConf starts,
which in total will mean that for the most part of an year we'll have
separate accounts, providing very little benefit wrt the status quo, or
am I missing something here?

Have you considered having rather a sliding DebConf year which is, like,
a 4 months period with DebConf at its center? Would that be too short in
your opinion?

> I thought the DPL and the Debian auditor should get access to the
> DebConf accounting as well.

AOL, that would ease budget monitoring quite a lot.

> I assume "all known pending expenses". New expenses after the merge
> window should explicitly be approved.

Yes, that was the idea.

FWIW I often pre-approve expenses for meetings and the like and I see no
reason why that cannot be down for DebConf as well. For instance it's
easy to say: "the debconf window is closing now, but we know we are
pending a venue payment for X $, can you please pre-approve that?".

Cheers.