Re: [Debconf-team] Question for DebConf12 bids: Costs

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 02:02:21PM +0000, Moray Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva
> <marcot@debian.org> wrote:
> > Unfortunately we could not get the alternative place we were looking for, so
> > the prices on the BID page are the best prices we could get.
>
> If you were chosen for DebConf11, would you be able to find a
> different alternative venue?
>
> As discussed, US$80 per person per night is probably more than we can
> pay, unless you find some very generous local sponsorship.  If you
> were told you could only spend at most US$30 (and preferably less) per
> person per night, what would you do?
>
> --
> Moray

Hello, Moray.

I could get some information from people that have organized an event
for 1200 people on November 2009 in the venue we want to get, SESC Venda
Nova.

I've put the information in our bid now, considering it as our main
option. That was a last minute change, because it has been hard to
negotiate with people from SESC, always postponing sending the costs to
us. Here in Brazil, we say the year only starts after Carnaval. That is
very much unfortunate.

Well, the good news is that prices are much lower than what we had
previously. In fact, they are lower than I expected.

They are about $20 per person per night. The venue is cheaper too. We
have some difficulties though. It's far from downtown, network
connectivity must be arranged by us. But I think it's a very good
tradeoff, not only because of the price, but because the place is great
for us to have a little fun! Pools, courts to play soccer, volleyball,
basketball. And I have heard the accomodations are nice too!

Well, I hope there's not much trouble doing this update in these last
hours. I could only get my hands on this information this morning.

Regards,
Cascardo.