Re: [Debconf-team] Food logistics (was Re: Things to look at in BL [pre-debcamp todo list])

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> Good detective work, Velimir.  Here are my comments, others can
> elaborate more:
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 05:15:13PM +0200, Velimir Iveljic wrote:
>
>> > * Food
>> > ** Current contact: Velimir(aroundthfur).
>> > ** Global contact: moray/darst/fil (?)
>> > ** Is cafeteria expecting our numbers (50-90 for debcamp, ~250-300 for
>> >   debconf?)
>>
>> The hotel is expecting precise numbers for each day in advance.
>> Before we go any further with planing this, the hotel said that all
>> the meals for the people in Bosna will have to be payed since they are
>> included in the reduced price of the room.
>> We can still save some money by making sure we know exactly how many
>> people from other hotels will eat each day.
>
> Only one day in advance is not too bad.  It's good, though, that we
> don't have to pay for meals at everyone at Hotel Bosna - that would
> have been another major expense, and we'd have to check the budget,
> again!

That is the info the hotel gave me. I agree it would be a bad thing to
pay for all the meals that we don't use.
But either way i think the people from other hotels eating there would
make up for the ones not eating and staying in Bosna.

> Can we tell them numbers for lunch and dinner separately?  That would
> save us some money.

Yes. I don't see why not. It's a separate meal all together, so no
problems there i think.

> What time the day before do they need the official count?

He only said he needs the number before the next day so that he can
get food, plan, etc. So every evening we should have a number for the
day after.

> Regardless, you'll need a way to handle DebCamp numbers for the first
> few days, before people arrive.  I'll leave that to other people who
> are there to work out...

I'll be in Banja Luka on Sunday, so before that i would need to
produce a number for the first day at least.

> I can provide estimated numbers based on different criteria, but by
> now you know the limitations on Pentabarf data (people not coming to
> meals, people arriving late, ...).

Please do, as it would help a lot!

>> > ** Is the cafeteria set up for taking varying numbers of people per
>> >   day, with people paying at the door?
>>
>> For the ones who are not staying in hotels at all (not sponsored)
>> applies the same thing as for the ones that are not staying in hotel
>> Bosna.
>
> Will we have to collect money from the people who pay for themselves
> and give it to Bosna, or can Bosna accept cash or credit cards as
> other people walk in?

I understood that we would need to collect the money and then pay for
them. I will talk some more to the hotel manager about this when i go
to Banja Luka on Sunday morning.

>> > ** Can we manage to pay for only those who eat each day, and with how
>> >   much advance notice about what percent might show up?
>> > ** Vegetarian and vegan meals?
>>
>> We need to give them numbers, how many people eat what and they will
>> prepare food for everyone.
>
> They want to know exactly how many vegetarians and vegans are coming
> each day ?

That was told to me by the main chef from the hotel. He needs to know
how many meals of that kind he would need to prepare.