Re: [Debconf-team] Hotels reservation details

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 04:28:37PM +0200, Velimir Iveljic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've talked to DIVA today and have made some sort of a "preliminary"
>> cost and plan for the Hotels.
>>
>> First i need to say that they want to put as many people as possible
>> in the cheaper hotels (Palas and Vidovic) in order to reduce the costs
>> of the conference.
>
> This is not a good idea.  Having people in close proximity is what
> DebConf is all about - not just about sitting in talks.  We should at
> least have DebCamp attendees in Hotel Bosna.
>
>> The capacity for each of the hotels is as following:
>
> With this, and the other information you have provided, we should be
> able to plan how many are needed in each hotel tonight.  Once we have
> exact rooms, we can assign those numbers.

I have room info on Palas and Vidovic that i received today from DIVA.

>> The prices are the ones we already have on the wiki:
>> http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf11/Accommodation
>> All prices are per person. So that means we pay 38€ per rooms in hotel
>> Bosnia (+1€ tax), VIdovic 18.109€ (+1€ tax), Palas 23€ (+1€ tax) per
>> person.
>
>> If we reserve more rooms and end up using less, it will be no problem
>> to cancel. We won't have to pay any penalty.
>
> This is good, and makes things simpler.  We should leave some spare
> rooms just in case then.
>
>> The rooms for people who are not sponsored will be reserved, but will
>> be paid by attendees on the reception. These people will go to hotel
>> Bosna, as there will be no more room in other hotels, since we will
>> use them to accommodate the sponsored people over there.
>
> This will *not* work.  Attendees have already paid their fees, and it
> they are going to things like travel sponsorship and shipping.
>
> I repeat: This will NOT work.
>
> Here is what that would be like: We would transfer professional fees
> to DIVA to pay for hotels, and then DIVA would transfer the same
> amount of money to us to pay for travel sponsorship.  This is clearly
> a ridiculous idea.  The DIVA budget is not the DebConf budget - the
> DIVA budget is one part of a much larger whole.  DIVA should be acting
> as our legal agents, not trying to decide everything for us.

I thought that the number of sponsored people included prof/corp.
attendees as you once told me.
When i said people not sponsored, i meant exactly THAT! The people
that are not getting a free room from us.

If i misunderstood something here, than that is my bad and i apologize!

>> I asked for the hotel contacts in order to ask for the room plans etc,
>> but they said that i can come to them with all the details and we can
>> call the hotels together (they explained that this is because they
>> already have made contact with the hotels and don't want for anyone
>> else to call on behalf DebConf because they are afraid some one could
>> make arrangements which could do harm to us (us == debconf). I then
>> said that i would like them to introduce me to the hotel contacts they
>> have, so that i don't need to go to DIVAs office in order to ask for
>> some details about the rooms, etc. and they said that when i come back
>> with the final number of rooms (detailed by every day, i'll explain
>> this more later on in the email) they would do that)
>>
>> So one thing they asked is how many people will need special
>> accommodation (people in wheelchairs and blind people) and the exact
>> dates that they are arriving so that we can put them in hotel Bosnia.
>
> Ana's work brings two people who would like would like ground-floor or
> accessible accommmodations in Hotel Bosna.  This is another reason for
> not putting people in Vidovic and Palas first - we don't want some
> attendees to be left alone, the DebConf spirit is community.
>

>> The cost of food is 7.5€ (15KM) per person per day. We will all eat
>> launch and dinner in hotel Bosnia, the breakfast will be served in the
>> hotels where people are staying.
>> Food will be served as a buffet, where all kinds of food will be
>> available (vegan, vegetarian, etc..) and it will be noted what kind of
>> food (meat) is served.
>>
>> People who are not sponsored but want to eat with the group will be
>> able to do so and pay for the meals on the site (same price).
>
> This is very good news (per day, not per meal).  It is also the first
> time we've heard that.  (Same for the 1€ tax for each person per
> room).  I will update our budgets.

I heard about the room taxes for the first time today also.

About the food, they told me that it is 7.5€ per day. Now it's not. I
can't keep track anymore as i receive different info every time i ask
somebody something.

I asked all the things you wanted me to ask, didn't tell DIVA to make
ANY reservations until i get back to them again.
What happened in the mean time i don't know since no body told me anything.

I hope you can get this straightened up with them directly or however
it is that this is going to be solved (as i see you and Adnan have
reached an agreement on IRC).

I only wanted to help, I obviously failed.

--
Velimir