Re: [Debconf-team] Hotels reservation details

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 04:28:37PM +0200, Velimir Iveljic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've talked to DIVA today and have made some sort of a "preliminary"
> cost and plan for the Hotels.
>
> First i need to say that they want to put as many people as possible
> in the cheaper hotels (Palas and Vidovic) in order to reduce the costs
> of the conference.

This is not a good idea.  Having people in close proximity is what
DebConf is all about - not just about sitting in talks.  We should at
least have DebCamp attendees in Hotel Bosna.

> The capacity for each of the hotels is as following:

With this, and the other information you have provided, we should be
able to plan how many are needed in each hotel tonight.  Once we have
exact rooms, we can assign those numbers.

> The prices are the ones we already have on the wiki:
> http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf11/Accommodation
> All prices are per person. So that means we pay 38€ per rooms in hotel
> Bosnia (+1€ tax), VIdovic 18.109€ (+1€ tax), Palas 23€ (+1€ tax) per
> person.

> If we reserve more rooms and end up using less, it will be no problem
> to cancel. We won't have to pay any penalty.

This is good, and makes things simpler.  We should leave some spare
rooms just in case then.

> The rooms for people who are not sponsored will be reserved, but will
> be paid by attendees on the reception. These people will go to hotel
> Bosna, as there will be no more room in other hotels, since we will
> use them to accommodate the sponsored people over there.

This will *not* work.  Attendees have already paid their fees, and it
they are going to things like travel sponsorship and shipping.

I repeat: This will NOT work.

Here is what that would be like: We would transfer professional fees
to DIVA to pay for hotels, and then DIVA would transfer the same
amount of money to us to pay for travel sponsorship.  This is clearly
a ridiculous idea.  The DIVA budget is not the DebConf budget - the
DIVA budget is one part of a much larger whole.  DIVA should be acting
as our legal agents, not trying to decide everything for us.

> I asked for the hotel contacts in order to ask for the room plans etc,
> but they said that i can come to them with all the details and we can
> call the hotels together (they explained that this is because they
> already have made contact with the hotels and don't want for anyone
> else to call on behalf DebConf because they are afraid some one could
> make arrangements which could do harm to us (us == debconf). I then
> said that i would like them to introduce me to the hotel contacts they
> have, so that i don't need to go to DIVAs office in order to ask for
> some details about the rooms, etc. and they said that when i come back
> with the final number of rooms (detailed by every day, i'll explain
> this more later on in the email) they would do that)
>
> So one thing they asked is how many people will need special
> accommodation (people in wheelchairs and blind people) and the exact
> dates that they are arriving so that we can put them in hotel Bosnia.

Ana's work brings two people who would like would like ground-floor or
accessible accommmodations in Hotel Bosna.  This is another reason for
not putting people in Vidovic and Palas first - we don't want some
attendees to be left alone, the DebConf spirit is community.

> The cost of food is 7.5€ (15KM) per person per day. We will all eat
> launch and dinner in hotel Bosnia, the breakfast will be served in the
> hotels where people are staying.
> Food will be served as a buffet, where all kinds of food will be
> available (vegan, vegetarian, etc..) and it will be noted what kind of
> food (meat) is served.
>
> People who are not sponsored but want to eat with the group will be
> able to do so and pay for the meals on the site (same price).

This is very good news (per day, not per meal).  It is also the first
time we've heard that.  (Same for the 1€ tax for each person per
room).  I will update our budgets.

Thanks,

- Richard