Re: [Debconf-team] Final numbers

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 09:14:23AM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:10 AM, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> > I tried the same, and it seems that only DDs are blocked from
> > registering sponsored.  Other debian statuses can still select
> > sponsored.
> >
> > Perhaps this should be fixed before sending the emails asking people
> > to fix stuff.
>
> So can you add a check for sponsored-status-chosen-after-deadline, and
> send a separate email to those people while resetting their statuses?
> I don't see any reason for a general deadline-exemption just because
> we had a bug.

That would make that set of scripts need to look at logging schema,
which would be quite a modification as it is.  I can try to make a
separate query to find these people and deal with them by some other
method.

I guess the options are:

(a) fix it now, revert all people who took advantage of it
(b) fix it now, do nothing about people who took advantage of it
(c) fix it now, do nothing about people who took advantage of it, make
    an exception for DDs (since they were the only people who couldn't
    take advantage of it)
(d) fix it now, make an exception for anyone who wants to register
    sponsored even if they didn't register before deadline.

(either way, our exception agreed to at the meeting yesterday would
stand separately from this.)

I think (d) is too much, (a) is slightly less preferable for me than
(b) or (c), but mainly because I don't want to have to both make more
work and give bad news.

> > I actually think that it is the fact that category (sponsored, etc)
> > depends on status (DD, ...) that gets causes a lot of problems.  if
> > you change status, category can get reset (or you could lose
> > sponsorship).  I can think of other ways this could fail...  But
> > anyway, this is what we are left with...
>
> (I'm sure I'm forgetting something obvious, but why are those two
> fields related?)

People like "press" or "sponsor" can't choose "sponsored", and it
became a complex field, instead of something like a submission
validation check... fancier, but more error-prone?

- richard