Re: [Debconf-team] A records or CNAMES for www. prefix [was: Magazine Ad is ready!]

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
On 06/06/2011 10:26 AM, Leandro Gómez wrote:
> 2011/6/6 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@ftbfs.de>
>
>> zobel@marra:~% host www.debconf11.debconf.org
>> Host www.debconf11.debconf.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> Right. It should be http://debconf11.debconf.org. Thank you!

Thanks for catching this, Martin, and for fixing it, Leandro.

Perhaps we should create the www.debconf11.debconf.org A record (or a
CNAME) as well (and add the appropriate HTTP 302 redirect back to the
correct hostname).

It irks me to even recommend this, but I know there are a lot of people
who seem to believe that you have to type "www" to get to a web site;
given that we can make things work for those (confused) people as well,
we probably should.

Yes, I agree. I've seen this many, many times.

       --dkg