Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf11-localteam] [DC11] Accommodation

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 01:06:04AM +0100, Adnan Hodzic wrote:
> We're going to pursue the same kind of deal with rest of the hotels. Won't
> give up until we both found common ground, read price. So answer is yes :)
>
> Let us start the registration process first I'll take careof that on the
> run.

Yes, we are close... what time frame will you have for talking to
other hotels?

We can probably open registration soon, it's up to when a new
conference can be made in penta and that gets updated. (but see below)

> Regarding professional attendees, that was my original plan from very start.
> Reserve rooms for them as well for same.price, that's why I was so strongly
> pursuing the idea of them registering with penta. Not because I was trying
> to micromanage them as some of you figured it.
>
> Make it possible in penta as we're planning to have it like that in reality.
> This topic should be concluded on meeting on 29th.

Here is the way many conferences work:

Conference organizers will make a deal with a hotel for facilities +
rooms.  Attendees contact the hotel _themselves_ and say "I want to
reserve a room in the [PyCon] block", and they get a room in their
block, and with the conference rates.  We want something like this,
just we'll have a lot of rooms reserved and paid by us.

There is practically universal consensus from the global team that we
would prefer something like this.  We need someone to talk to them and
set it up.

We _should_ have instructions for professional attendees before
opening registration, which is why it is so important that someone
investigate this fully ASAP.

On a related, having professional attendees able to pay for food
directly to the hotel, somehow, would also be good to work out.
There's a bit more flexibility here, so you should see what is least
work for us.

> One more thing, you seem to be very concerned how we're going to spend govt.
> money but where is even starting to get rest of sponsorships in this plan?

The sponsorship team meeting last Thursday outlined the general
workflow of this - anyone can start ASAP, sooner the better!
Historically, I have been more involved in the logistical side of
DebConf, and I expect that will continue, so I'm not the best one to
ask about it.  Definitely contact sponsors whenever you can.

Thanks for your work so far,

- Richard