Re: [Debconf-team] Let's decide DebConf11 final dates

Hi Christian.

Excerpts from Christian PERRIER's message of Dom Nov 14 06:02:54 -0200 2010:
> Quoting Enis Sahinovic (enis.sahinovic@gmail.com):
> > Actually, we've discussed dates during our meetings at DC10 in NYC and
> > I was pushing strongly in favor of mentioned dates because I'd like to
> > see DebCamp + DebConf finished before the start of Muslim holly month
> > of Ramadan. Local team members openly criticized me for bringing that
>

> I personnally think this is a very valid argument. Probably all
> international members of the -team list were'nt aware of this.
>
> For sure, this is not like DebConf and Debian are projects that are
> driven by religious concerns. However, holding the event in a country
> where a large part of the population adheres to the muslim religion
> and overlapping with Ramadan, is not the best choice.

I agree with you.  The fact that we're thinking about changing dates because of
a desktop conference doesn't mean that DebConf and Debian are driven by desktop
concerns only.  We're assuming that some people will be interested in
participating of both events and we want them to be able to attend to the whole
DebConf.  I think it's the same casa with Ramadan.

Another good point for switching to 24th to 30th is that in Brazil, and
possibly in other countries in the South, some schools and universities start
the classes in August 1st.  The event ending after August 1st would be a
problem for students and professors from these places that wish to attend.
or teachers from these schools

Greetings.
(...)
--