Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf Standards of Respect [was: Re: DebConf anti-harassment policy]

Hi list+people of this thread.

Re: Gunnar's point about not needing the text.  I hope that leaders
will try to help regardless.  But as Gunnar pointed out, that isn't
typical at tech conferences: there are strong sexist tendencies at
lots of cech conferences.  DebConf's actions speaks louder than words,
but I (and probably all of us) don't want our good work to not benefit
someone because they are a bit afraid to come.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 04:04:30AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> (Comparing that to the "StandardsOfRespect" page, I can only see
> things like "expected to be respectful", "please speak up",
> "investigate and take whatever actions", "mediation" -- it seems like
> it should have an explicit "if you're told to stop, stop" somewhere)

That's a good point - I had tried to make it sound more mediator-like,
and part of that was to not make it sound like it's stacked against
anyone.

It's clear that the debconf team can kick people out for severe
problems, and you have a very good point about how the text doesn't
say this.  I hadn't really considered this deeply before.  I'd be
interested to hear how forceful the text should read, or if it should
be gentler.  I have been on the side of gentler so far, but...

- Richard