Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf Standards of Respect [was: Re: DebConf anti-harassment policy]

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 02:28, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> FWIW, many of you will remember this _has_ happened in Debian and
> specifically at DebConf 6, where a white+male supremacist was
> basically kicked out (both of the conference and of the project)
> because of his disrespect. This didn't need an explicit policy. Quite
> probably, if we had sketched it beforehand, the problem could have
> been solved before it escalated as far as it did...

Solving problems before they escalate into minor brawls or sexual
assaults is a /major/ win.

In that particular example, there were lots of things that people let
slide that probably should have warranted earlier action. Consider the
bit from the GeekFeminism anti-harassment text that goes : "Harassment
includes ... sustained disruption of talks or other events ...
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to
comply immediately." and some of the pre-conference stuff described in
<20060519154027.GA4352@azure.humbug.org.au>.

(Comparing that to the "StandardsOfRespect" page, I can only see
things like "expected to be respectful", "please speak up",
"investigate and take whatever actions", "mediation" -- it seems like
it should have an explicit "if you're told to stop, stop" somewhere)

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au>