Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf Standards of Respect [was: Re: DebConf anti-harassment policy]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dijo [Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 07:52:26PM -0500]:
> > Also, what I read there would forbid stuff that happens in other kinds
> > of conferences: .
>
> Uh, there are also conferences devoted to white supremacy, and
> conferences devoted explicitly to how to market the latest proprietary
> software.  People who want to go to those conferences can certainly go
> to them, but i'd rather not see those things be considered acceptable
> behavior for debconf.
>
> If someone started advocating, say, white supremacy at debconf, i would
> hope they would be told directly and firmly that this was not reasonable
> or acceptable for the conference, and that they should stop doing so or
> leave the conference.
>
> I'd rather the conference seem unwelcoming to a few bigots than seem
> unwelcoming to everyone who disagrees with white supremacy.

FWIW, many of you will remember this _has_ happened in Debian and
specifically at DebConf 6, where a white+male supremacist was
basically kicked out (both of the conference and of the project)
because of his disrespect. This didn't need an explicit policy. Quite
probably, if we had sketched it beforehand, the problem could have
been solved before it escalated as far as it did... But problems _can_
be defused without one.

> > So, to conclude, I don't think it is a good idea to adopt this text.
>
> I disagree with your conclusion.

I... Do not strongly believe we need this text, but given several
people have said they do feel the need for it, I must agree with
Daniel (and thus disagree with Martín ;-) )