Re: [Debconf-team] is there a need for a global-team meeting?

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 01:17:48PM -0400, Pablo Duboue wrote:
> (posting from my phone, I hope this doesn't come out as HTML)
>
> Hi,
>
> Last Saturday we canceled the global team meeting due to lack of
> attendance (we were 4-5 people there).
>
> The previous global-team meeting also had a poor attendance although
> enough to carry on the meeting.
>
> Before I embark myself on a "let's find a good meeting time" quest...
> do we need to meet this week at all?
>
> I know these global team meetings are customary but if we are having
> them out of habit and they don't serve any real purpose we can as well
> skip them for the time being.
>
> If we go along with a meeting these days, I want to propose to require
> advance notices for people who said they are available and then can't
> make it. First, it is a matter of courtesy and second, we can cancel
> the meeting much earlier.

Yes, we need meetings at least to know everybody is in the same page.
Most of the people is working in their corner and I think no one knows
the global picture, it is good to know what the rest of the people is doing.
Reporting emails to the list help with this, but the meeting allows
quick feedback, ideas and questions, and inter-team collaboration.

Optionally meetings can be good to take decisions on things that need
looking at the global picture of DebConf, since you have people working
more or less on all the areas.

About the low attendance this last weekend, it was something kind of expected
when you set the date with very people the previous week.

I see our mistake in how we are scheduling the meetings. IMHO, it is impossible
to find a good pattern to schedule the meetings (e.g.  every 2 weeks) since
the availability of each one tend to vary. I prefer doing a doodle poll for every
meeting and expect people who participated in the poll attend (if they marked
they were available) or send an "I wont be able to attend" email.
For this, we would need somebody scheduling the meetings:
-setting up the doodle
-prodding people to file the doodle
-3 or 4 days later, closing the doodle and publishing the date/time.

Ana