Re: [Debconf-team] RFH: scheduling DebConf10

On Jun 5, 2010, at 6:32 PM, Andrew McMillan wrote:

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 17:52 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
hey folks--

at the global-team meeting today, i volunteered to work on scheduling
the accepted talks for DebConf10.

I've never done this before, and would appreciate any advice or
assistance anyone has to offer. I'll almost certainly need reasonable
liaisons from the venue team, the video team, and the talks team.

We've promised a schedule by June 15th, 10 days away.  Advice from
anyone who has done this before would be awesome.

Hi Daniel,

I was involved in doing the scheduling for LCA 2010. What we did was to
write every talk onto a post-it note, and then we drew up a whiteboard
with columns for each day, and within that with columns for each room.

We then stuck all the post-it's onto the whiteboard pretty much randomly and moved some of them around to avoid wrong-sized rooms, put good stuff
for opening & closing, avoid scheduling clashes, ...

This worked well for a face to face, but might not be quite so good for
a team based around the world :-)

As an alternative though, I can provide accounts on a caldav server. We
can then create a calendar for each room, and events for each accepted
talk, and move them around in much the same manner using a CalDAV client such as Evolution, Lightning or Sunbird. We can very likely create the
inital events from an export of data in Penta.

Once we're happy I can export the data to SQL to be loaded into Penta,
and we also have a set of .ics files for the conference.

Just as an option, anyway, depending on whether you want to get
technological about it.

This sounds like a good way to do it in my experience. Digital tools are far too slow to do the initial organization. Post-ins are a great way to get the overall schedule laid out, then it can be put into a digtal schedule for the final tweaks.

Shall we set up a time to meet up?

.hc

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick