Re: [Debconf-team] science track followup

Hi,

sorry for the late answer, I was quite busy the last days.

I have now followed-up with most people and updated the wiki page of the
science track.

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 04:59:36PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I've gone ahead and marked every talk you mention in the TrackScience
> wiki page with the Science track, so they should be more easily groupable.

I'm happy with the set of currently accepted events.  It has to be
determined whether the Maths BoF should be in the same room along with
the other events, or be scheduled seperately (I think the latter might
be better).

So the current events would be:

1. Short welcome/introduction to the science track by myself

2. "Overall presentation of the Debian Science" by Sylvestre Ledru

3. "New developments in science packaging".  I envision this talk to be
split by 2-3 people.  I invited Sylvestre Ledru to talk about linear
algebra packaging and Lucas Nussbaum to talk about MPI library
packaging, however, Lucas is not sure whether he will attend and
Sylvestre has not confirmed yet, so this event might still not happen.

4. "Debian: The ultimate platform for neuroimaging research" by Michael
Hanke.  I suggested to Michael and Yaroslav Halchenko (whose talk we
rejected) to maybe merge their talks somewhat together (they both work
on neuro-debian)

5. "Debian science round-table", currently including David Bremner,
Michael Hanke or Yaroslav Halchenko, Sylvestre Ledru and myself.

Ad 1: I plan to keep this very short, and merge it with the second slot
if Sylvestre will do the linear algebra presentation as part of 3.
Otherwise, I am happy to drop the introduction otherwise.

I will be mailing the various science-related Debian lists with the
above update in the next days and asking for more participants for 3.
and 5.

One more thing: I saw a couple of talks submitted by researchers about
their scientific research on Debian or Free Software in general.  We
could include them as part of the science track (I don't mind a lot) as
a second (completely different time and space) session; at least having
them scheduled together might be helpful, what do you think?

Some candidates are:

1. "Statistical Machine Learning Analysis of Debian Mailing Lists"
(#592) by Hanna Wallach
2. "The Challenges of Licensing in Debian" (#633) by Daniel German
3. Possibly some event to be submitted by Biella :)
4. "Pedagogical Freedom" (#628) by Jonah Bossewitch, though this one is
part of the Community Outreach track currently

If people think this is useful/acceptable, I can go through the list of
accepted talks and find more candidates for a full session (or please
point them out to me!)

Cheers,

Michael